Life is Better Adventure Series - Lake July 05, 2017 13:34
by Celeste Heinz
Lakes are my happy place! Being out on the water refreshes me and makes my soul happy. Bozeman, MT isn’t necessarily known as a water lovers paradise, but after living here for a while, I’ve discovered some awesome lakes in the area to spend my summer days. I’ve gotten pretty into stand up paddle boarding since moving to Bozeman--it’s been a fun way for me to get out on the lakes and explore my new home!
1. Hyalite Reservoir: I love Hyalite mostly for its accessibility. Nestled in the mountains about 20 minutes outside of town, it’s easy to get to for an evening paddle board sesh after work. The reservoir is surrounded by mountains on all sides, making for a picturesque paddle!
2. Ennis Lake: This lake is a bit of a trek from Bozeman, but it’s worth it! Ennis Lake is rockin’ in the summer with tons of other lake lovers and is a fun day trip from Bozeman. It’s also fun to spend a morning relaxing out on the water and then cruise into Ennis for a drink at Willie’s Distillery in the afternoon.
3. Fairy Lake: This is one of the most beautiful lakes I’ve ever seen! With crystal clear turquoise waters, Fairy Lake looks like it’s come straight out of a magazine. The water is super chilly, but it’s an awesome little body of water to get out on. There’s a rope swing on one end of the lake and some fun hiking trails in the area as well. Fairy Lake gets my vote for most beautiful lake in the Bozeman area.
4. Hebgen Lake: Hebgen is the most sizable lake on this list. While it is a bit of a drive from Bozeman (about an hour and a half), it is totally worth it! I always make sure I bring my tent and turn my trip to Hebgen into a weekend get away. The lake is busy, like Ennis Lake, but it’s a blast for a day of boating! Paddle boarding here is fun, but I opt to head out for a SUP sesh earlier in the morning to avoid the speed boats. Later in the afternoon, I love to head out for a wake surfing session and catch the sunset on the water.
5. Cliff and Wade Lakes: These two lakes are a package deal. The crystal clear waters are located side by side with some epic campsites in between. Camping at Cliff and Wade has been one of my favorite weekends so far of summer 2017! These lakes are the furthest from Bozeman on my list, but they’re my top choice for a weekend of camping and lake life!
What lakes are you adventuring to this summer? We would love to hear from you and see what beauty you find around Montana. Use #themontanascene and #lifeisbetteradventureseries to show us your adventures!